For a more complete biographical information see ArtScience: Creativity in the post-Google Generation.
Julio M. Ottino's academic resume is available here.
Ottino and Mark Mills coauthored an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal on January 30. Read "The Coming Tech-Led Boom"
Ottino recently spoke to IBM about the importance of "whole-brain thinking" at THINK: A Forum on the Future of Leadership. See the video.
Recent talks in the area of science, art and technology
- "How Art, Science, and Technology Separated (and May Join Again)"
Northwestern University Women's Board, November 2012
- "Creativity in Art, Technology, and Science"
TechniGraphicS Lecture, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, August 2012
- "Thinking in a Complex World: Creativity and the Nexus of Art, Technology, and Science"
Northwestern University Complexity Conference, March 2011
- "Robots and Opera: Death and the Powers and the Intersection of Art and Science"
McCormick Dean's Seminar Series, February 2011
- "Thriving with Complexity"
Master of Product Design and Development, February 2011
- "Thinking in a Complex World: The Nexus of Art, Technology, and Science"
Northwestern Institute on Complex Systems Seminar Series, December 2010
- "Making a Case for Design"
Design Chicago 2010, May 2010
- "Creative Processes in Science and Technology: Insights from the Visual Arts"
Google Tech Talks, May 2009
- "Structure, Growth Modes, and Creative Processes in Art, Technology, and Science"
Segal Design Institute Seminar Series, May 2009
- "Creative Process in Science and Technology: Insights from Visual Arts"
Master of Product Design and Development, April 2009
Selected Research Publications
- J.M.Ottino, The art of mixing with an admixture of art: Fluids, solids, and visual imagination, Physics of Fluids, 22, 021301 (2010) (Otto Laporte Lecture, Fluid Dynamics Prize)
- J.M. Ottino, Granular Matter as a Window into Collective Systems far from Equilibrium, Complexity, and Scientific Prematurity, Chem. Eng. Sci., 61, 4165-4171 (2006).
- J.M. Ottino, The art of mixing with an admixture of art: Viewing creativity through P.V. Danckwerts’s Early Work, Chem. Eng. Sci., 55, 2749-2765 (2000) (Danckwerts Memorial Lecture).
- J.M. Ottino, Is a picture worth 1,000 words? Exciting new illustration techniques should be used with care. Nature, 421, 474-476 (2003).
- J.M. Ottino, Engineering complex systems, Nature, 427, 399 (2004).
- J.M. Ottino, Putting Chaos to Work Research News, 250, 226-227 (1990).